Any user with edit access to a binder can also set the version binding for the binder components. This allows users to continue updating component documents whilst preserving a snapshot of the binder contents at a specific point in time.
Vault indicates documents that are bound to a specific version with an icon (). Each component document in the binder is either bound or unbound. Filtering options in the binder header allow you to show only bound, only unbound, or all documents.
To set version binding for an entire binder or a specific binder section:
- From the binder view, click Edit Binder.
- Click the Set Binding button in the binder header (to set for the binder) or select Set Version Binding from the Actions menu in the section row (to set for the section). The Set Binding button is only enabled at the top section level in compact view or when working in outline view.
- In the Set Version Binding dialog, select a binding option. See details below.
- Optional: Select the Overwrite existing bindings if a newer version is available checkbox to reset the version binding according to the selected option for documents that are already bound. If you do not set this checkbox, no changes occur for bound documents.
- Click OK. Vault resets the binding for all documents below the level selected. Note that binding changes do not affect components of nested binders.
To set version binding for an individual document:
- From the binder view, click Edit.
- Select Set Version Binding from the Actions menu in the document row.
- All of the binding options for a binder or section are available, as well as an option that allows the user to select a specific version from all of the document versions.
- Click OK to apply the binding. Setting at the document level overwrites any prior binding for that document.
|Always show the [unbound display option]||This option undoes existing bindings, returns documents to the unbound state, and shows documents according to the binder type’s unbound display option. When using this option, you cannot clear the Overwrite checkbox.|
|Bind documents to their Latest Steady State Version (if it exists)||This option explicitly binds all documents to the current steady state (typically major) version. For example, Vault binds to version 1.0 for a document with 1.0 and 1.1. If no steady state version exists, the document remains unbound. This option does not automatically update existing binders.|
|Bind documents to their Latest Version||This option allows the user to set the binding to the latest version for each document, regardless of the state. In this case, the binder will not reflect any future changes to the documents unless a user sets the version binding again. This option does not automatically update existing binders.|
|Bind to a specific version||(Individual document only) This option allows you to select from a list of all versions for the document.|
You can lock binders using the same process that creates a major version of a document: setting the binder status to a steady state. Using the default binder lifecycle, this state is Approved and the action is Approve. Depending on configuration, these labels may be different in your Vault. To lock a binder:
- After setting all version binding, close binder edit mode by clicking Done Editing.
- From the binder’s Actions menu, choose Approve. Note that the binder’s lifecycle configuration may prevent this action if some component documents are unbound.
- Vault creates a new major version and changes the lifecycle state of the binder to Approved.
- If additional edits are necessary, choose Create Draft from the Actions menu to create a new draft version of the binder. Note that this action is only available to users in a role with the Version permission.
Note that documents will still auto-file into a locked binder.