If your Vault is configured to receive email, users with appropriate permissions can view Email records and perform actions on them.
About the Email Object and Lifecycle
Vault creates a new Email object record for each email sent to an inbound email address. This record includes a number of fields containing key information about the email such as sender, recipient, and subject, and provides an action to download the original email including any attachments.
These records enter a lifecycle with the following states:
- New: Vault has received the email, created this record, and is passing the record to the configured email processor.
- Processed: The email processor ran successfully.
- Failed: The email processor returned an error.
- Bounced: Vault did not run the configured email processor on this record for the reason specified in the Bounce Reason field.
Three user actions are available for Email object records. Depending on the current lifecycle state and your Vault’s configuration, you may not see any or all of these actions.
- Download Email: Downloads the raw EML (.eml) file Vault received. If the email had attachments, this action will download a ZIP file containing the EML and the individual attachments in their original format. This can be done with the Email record in any state.
- Reprocess Email: Sends the Email record back to the configured email processor to retry processing. Using this action is only recommended when the processor returns an unexpected error and you expect a retry to work without issue, or if the email processor was reconfigured. This action is available only when the Email record is in the Bounced or Failed state.
- Delete Email: Deletes the Email record and all associated files. This action is available only when the Email record is in the Processed, Bounced,or Failed state.
Note: Vault includes attachments when downloading Bounced emails that are marked as spam, come from unapproved senders, or failed email authentication (including SPF, DKIM, or DMARC). Vault does not include attachments when downloading Bounced emails that exceed the size limit.
Note: You can download, process, or delete email records in the Bounced state. You can reprocess Bounced emails if the emails were marked as spam, come from previously unapproved senders, or failed email authentication (including SPF, DKIM, or DMARC). You cannot reprocess emails that exceed the size limit or come from senders that are still unapproved.
Vault stores inbound emails until they are manually deleted with the Delete Email user action. In the future, Veeva may implement automatic email purging, deleting stored emails, their attachments, and Email and Emailed Document records after a period of time.
About the Bounce Reason & Failure Reason Fields
While creating Email records in the Bounced or Failed states, Vault often populates the Bounce Reason or Failure Reason fields with the error or reason. However, there may be times that an email bounces or fails and Vault does not populate the corresponding field. If the Bounce Reason or Failure Reason field on an Email record is blank, you can consult the Email log.
When a Bounced or Failed email record moves into another state, Vault automatically clears the Bounce Reason or Failure Reason field, respectively.