Vault provides the ability to manage products and their information through the product object. One benefit of using the product object over a picklist field is that users can find documents related to a product using any of the product’s fields. For example, if the product Cholecap has the generic name chopredol and the abbreviation CC, users can search on any of these values to find documents. In the Doc Info page, users can also hover over the product name to view additional fields if the product has them.
Accessing Product Records
You can work with Product records from Business Admin > Objects > Products. Some Vaults also include custom object tabs that allow access to records outside of Business Admin. With the correct permissions, you can create, edit, and delete records from a custom tab.
Permission sets and custom sharing rules can control access for viewing, creating, editing, and deleting object data records.
How to Add and Edit Products
To add or edit a product:
- From the Products page, click Create or click on an existing product and then click Edit.
- Enter the Product Name.
- Optional: Fill in the other product fields (such as Product Abbreviation). These fields can vary by Vault, depending on your configuration.
- Set the Status. Users can only see and select active products when setting the Product picklist.
- Click Save.
Therapeutic Area and Product Family Fields
The standard fields Therapeutic Area and Product Family are picklists. You can add, edit or remove picklist values for these fields from the Picklists page.
How to Disable and Delete Products
Vault prevents deletion of products that users have selected on one or more documents or that Admins have used within a lifecycle rule or workflow. If you cannot delete a product, prevent users from selecting it in the future by changing its status. To delete a product:
- From the Products page, hover over the product.
- Click the red X icon that appears.
- Click Continue in the confirmation dialog to permanently delete the product.