The Person Settings page (Admin > Settings > Person Settings) allows you to enable duplicate record detection on the Person object and configure duplicate match rules.
Duplicate Person Detection
To reduce the need for data clean-up, Vault can detect and prevent the creation of duplicate Person records. Based upon your configuration, Vault can use exact or fuzzy matching rules to detect duplicate records before users create them. You can also allow users to proceed with the creation of a duplicate record.
Vault can detect records when a user creates a Person record from:
- Business Admin > Objects or a custom object tab
- Copying an existing Person record
- Object reference field on a document or object record
To configure duplicate Person detection:
- Navigate to Admin > Settings > Person Settings. Select the Enable duplicate detection on new person records checkbox. This setting is enabled by default.
- Optional: Select Match persons only in the same object type to enable Vault to search for duplicate records that share the same Person object type when creating records. If disabled, Vault does not take the object type into account when returning results.
- Optional: Select Allow user to proceed with creating duplicate person records to allow users to save a record that is detected as a duplicate. If disabled, users will be unable to save the duplicate record.
To configure duplicate match rules:
- Optional: Select Exact match on Email.
- Optional: Select Exact match on First Name and Last Name.
- Optional: Select Fuzzy match on First Name and Last Name; Exact match on Mobile Phone. Unlike exact match, fuzzy match identifies texts that closely match with a difference of up to 2 characters. Fuzzy match works best with Latin characters. If users are working with international data (for example, Chinese characters), we recommend using exact match.
- Optional: Select Exact match on First Name Initial and Last Name; Exact match on Mobile Phone.
- Optional: Select Fuzzy match on First Name and exact match on Last Name.
- Optional: Select Enable duplicate detection in an additional field to enable duplicate detection in an additional field on the Person object, along with the preferred matching method. Some field types only allow for one matching method, while others are excluded from both fuzzy and exact match.
- When finished editing, click Save.