Vault allows you to reuse fields across multiple document types by creating shared fields, which exist outside the context of a document type. You can create shared fields or convert an existing field into a shared field. If a shared field is only used in one document type, you can also convert it to a non-shared field.
Accessing Shared Document Fields
Shared fields appear in Admin > Configuration > Document Fields under Shared Fields and under any linked document types. However, you can only edit a shared field if you click into its details page from Shared Fields. The Shared Field icon helps distinguish shared from non-shared fields.
How To Create New Shared Fields
To create a new shared field:
- From the Field Location list, click Shared Fields.
- Click Create.
- Select a field type and enter a label. The label appears as the field name for end users.
- Set the field options. The options vary between field types.
- Click Save.
How To Convert Non-Shared Fields
To create a shared field from an existing non-shared field:
- From the Document Fields page, select the field you wish to share.
- Click Convert To Shared Field. If the field is already shared, you can click Convert to Non-Shared to change it back.
- The newly shared field is available under Shared Fields in the document type tree.
How To Use a Shared Field in a Document Type
To assign a shared field to a document type:
- From the Document Fields page, select the document type to which you want to add the shared field.
- Click Add and select Existing Shared Field.
- Select the shared field you wish to assign.
- Click OK.