Note: The content in this article refers to single-document workflows, now known as legacy workflows. While existing workflows remain supported and such workflows can continue to be updated and used, legacy workflows will not receive new functionality in future releases. As of the 21R1.2 release, multi-document workflows and object workflows are unified under Admin > Configuration > Workflows.
If your document lifecycle does not have any legacy workflows, the Legacy Workflow tab will not appear on your document lifecycle configuration page. If you require legacy workflow functionality for such a document lifecycle in your Vault during this release period, contact Support.
After the 21R3 release, you cannot create or copy legacy workflows in any Vault. You can continue to refresh or clone Vaults with existing legacy workflows.
Workflow steps define all the actions within a workflow, whether they are user actions like providing electronic signatures or system actions like sending notifications.
To view and manage the steps in a workflow:
- Navigate to Admin > Configuration > Document Lifecycles > [Lifecycle Name] > Legacy Workflows.
- Click on the workflow name.
- Optional: To add a new step, select Create Next Step from a step’s action menu. Note that decision steps do not have these options. Instead, edit the decision step and use the Create Step button.
- Optional: To edit an existing step, select Edit in a step’s action menu. Make the necessary changes and click Save.
- Optional: To delete a step, select Delete from that step’s action menu.
- Vault automatically deactivates a workflow when you edit its steps to prevent changes to in-progress workflows. To make the workflow active again, click Make configuration active in the Workflow Details panel.
Fields in the Step Details panel appear for all step types.
|Name||Enter a name for the step. This name displays in the Workflow Steps panel and when selecting next steps. For Workflow Task steps, this name appears as the dialog title in the task completion dialog.|
|Description||Enter a description for the step. For most steps, this description only displays in the Workflow Steps panel in workflow administration. However, the field is required for Workflow Task steps and appears in the task completion dialog as user instructions.|
|Type||Select the type of step. Learn more about these step types: Start, Join, Notification, Decision, State Change, Timer, Workflow Task, File Upload Workflow Task, Read & Understood Workflow Task, End Workflow, Update Document Field. Depending on the selection, Vault displays additional fields below the Step Details panel with options specific to the step type.|
|Next Step(s)||Select from the picklist or enter names for one or more steps that Vault automatically begins when this step completes. Click Create Step to create a new step for selection without leaving the current page.|