The Search Settings page (Admin > Settings > Search Settings) allows you to view and manage settings that determine how Vault executes object and document searches. From this page, you can configure:
- Search Thesaurus: Allows you to manage thesauruses for your Vault.
- Advanced Search Document Filters: Allows you to define the object reference fields to include as filters.
- Match Settings: Allows you to enable certain settings for search term matching. See details about Match Settings below.
- Exporting Results: Allows you to enable certain settings for how Vault exports search results.
- Default Search Tab: Allows you to select the tab that Vault searches by default when a user searches from any tab other than a custom document or object tab. See details about setting the Default Search Tab below.
- Search Collections: Allows you to create and edit groups of objects that users can search at the same time as expanded searches.
By default, Vault applies the following requirements to searches:
- Searches with one or two terms require all terms in the same field to match.
- Searches with three or four terms require all but one term in the same field to match.
- Searches with five or more terms require all but two terms in the same field to match.
When you clear the Enable Strict Matching checkbox, Vault produces less precise search results by requiring only one search term to match.
When you enable the Enable Smart Filters checkbox, Vault uses smart filtering, which converts your search terms into filters when they match certain values on a document, such as Document Type or lifecycle state. If you clear this checkbox, Vault always runs your search terms as a standard text search.
CJK Optimized Object Search
When you select Enable CJK Optimized Object Search, Vault searches for object records using a dictionary to separate words rather than whitespace. This improves matching for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. If you enable this option, Vault must reindex all of your objects which may take several hours. While the reindexing is in progress, Vault displays
(pending) next to the Enable CJK Optimized Object Search option and you cannot select or clear it.
Include Search Criteria When Exporting Results to Excel
When you select Include search criteria when exporting results to Excel, Vault adds a new sheet entitled Search Criteria to the exported Excel document for search results on any object or document tab. The search criteria appear in the sheet in the same order as in the UI with each applied filter displayed on a separate line. Tab filters are not included.
The Search Criteria sheet is not added to an exported Excel document if no search criteria are applied.
By default, Vault searches all documents in the Library when a user searches from any tab other than a custom document or object tab. To change the default search tab, click Edit in the Default Search Tabs panel. You can select any document or object tab from the drop-down.
You can Enable Document Archiving to allow users to archive documents when they are no longer in use. Any users with permission to view archived documents can do so via advanced search or in the Archive tab. Once you enable archiving, you cannot disable it.