The Create Related Record entry action allows Quality Admins to automate creation of related records based on the lifecycle progress of another record, and to automatically transfer some data from the source record to the new record. This can streamline events which occur in your business processes where users would otherwise be required to manually create related records and populate them with data.
Example Use Case: Issue Escalation from an External Audit
Suppose that in your business processes, during the course of an External Audit lifecycle, certain events may cause the user or users performing tasks within the External Audit to need to create an Issue Escalation with required field information, including Title, Source, Description, and Date of Occurence, sourced from the parent External Audit.
While you could have users manually create such a record from an Issue Escalation related record section on the External Audit record details page, such a process can cause duplicate work, as some of the required field data to create the Issue Escalation may already exist on the parent External Audit.
To automate this process and reduce unnecessary manual record creation and data entry, you could create a Related Record Configuration which maps Title, Source, Description, and Date of Occurrence field data on the Issue Escalation object to transfer from the appropriate fields on the External Audit object. The Related Record Configuration also links a reference field on the Issue Escalation object back to the parent External Audit.
You could then add the Create Related Record entry action to an appropriate state, such as Escalation Required, on the External Audit object lifecycle, so that when an event causes the External Audit record to enter that state, Vault automatically creates an Issue Escalation record and populates its required fields.
To integrate related record creation into your processes, you must set up the following configuration components:
- Create Related Record Configurations to suit your processes.
- Add the Create Related Record action as an entry action on an object lifecycle state, selecting at least one Related Record Configuration.
The Create Related Record entry action relies on defined object type and field mappings to create records. Those mappings are stored in Vault as Related Record Configurations. To create a Related Record Configuration:
- Navigate to Admin > Configuration > Related Record Configurations.
- Click Create.
- Fill in a Label and Status value.
- Select a Source Object and a Source Object Type. This object is the parent object whose lifecycle will trigger the related record creation and from which you want to copy field values. Some objects are not available for selection, see the limitations section for details.
- Select a Related Object. Records of this object will be created by the Create Related Record entry action.
- Select an Outbound Reference Field. This field, on the object selected in the Related Object drop-down, references back to the parent object.
- In the Field Value Mappings section, select fields in the Value column to derive values from for each required field on the related object.
- Click Add Mapped Value to add mappings for optional fields. You can remove mappings by clicking the minus (-) icon.
- Click Save.
Add the Create Related Record entry action to the object lifecycle state in which record creation should trigger. When configuring this action, you must select at least one Related Record Configuration in the Create Related Record Configurations box. While you can select multiple Related Record Configurations, we recommend using Perform with conditions and only a single Related Record Configuration to finely control the circumstances in which to trigger the record’s creation.
Best Practices for Related Record Automation
- Field data transfer using this feature is intended as a supplement to field-defaulting configurations, together forming the basis of required data in the new related record.
- While you can configure multiple instances of the action to create more than one related record at a time, this can increase the complexity of your configuration and can impact the time it takes for Vault to create the related records.
- For automatic creation of Effectiveness Check records specifically, consider using the Create Effectiveness Check entry action, depending on the specifics of your use case.
Limitations for Related Record Automation
- You can configure Related Record Configurations for supported standard source objects or custom source objects only. Some standard and system Vault objects, such as User or Person, cannot be targeted by a Related Record Configuration.
- Related Record Configurations can contain up to fifteen (15) field mappings.
- Create Related Record is not supported as an event action.
Quality Teams for Related Record Automation
The Create Related Record action does not directly modify security of the newly created action. It is recommended that you configure Quality Teams to define role assignments on the newly created record, or leverage Custom or Matching Sharing Rules to ensure your newly created record is secured appropriately.
The Security Profile: Admin: Create Related Record permission controls the ability to read, create, edit, or delete Related Record Configurations.